The mission of Project HEART, homeless education Program is to provide Manatee County students living in housing transition with support and resources to enroll, attend and succeed in school. Project Heart has partnered with Feeding Empty Little Tummies since 2011 to feed qualified homeless children in the district pursuant to the guidelines of thee McKinney Vento Act.
Under the McKinney Vento Act, eligible students have the right to:
- A free, appropriate public education
- Education in a mainstream school environment.
- Participation in the school food service program.
- Prompt resolution of disputes regarding educational placement.
- No isolation or stigmatization due to their homeless status.
- Placement in their school of origin the entire time they are
- homeless for the duration of any academic year.
- Consideration of parent’s requests regarding placement at the school of origin or the zoned school.
- Educational, social, athletic, and recreational services offered to other students
Feeding Empty Little Tummies is proud to partner with Project Heart to help homeless children in Manatee County with support and resources to live a productive life by minimizing food insecurity.